A BURTON shop that was previously stripped of its license for selling illegal cigarettes has come under further criticism following an environmental health inspection.
In their report, the Rate My Place team from East Staffordshire Borough Council noted that Monika Shop in Derby Street was yet to be registered, as well as finding a number of other hygiene issues, prompting them to give it just one star on March 31.
The business, which was a Polish supermarket, has since closed and the premises are now occupied by another Polish shop, The Smurf Ltd.
The team also found that there was no wash hand basin in the area of the shop where open food was being served and observed that the member of staff serving food was not washing her hands between customers even though she was using gloves. Futhermore there was no hygienic means of hand drying available at the toilet wash hand basin.
The team also highlighted in their report issues regarding the structure and cleaning procedures being carried out at the shop.
It stated: “The wooden shelves in your storeroom were made of bare wood. This is an absorbent material that cannot be cleaned easily. You must cover the shelves with gloss paint or similar which can be wiped clean.”
Furthermore it was noted that there was a spillage of beetroot juice in the bottom of the left display chiller which had not been attended to, and inspectors instructed staff to clean it immediately. The shop was also found to have no food safety management system, where staff are required to log checks carried out to ensure that food is safe to eat.
The report added: “You must write down your procedures for ensuring that your food is safe to eat, as well as keeping a record of the important checks that you carry out.
“It was noted that there was no reliable stock rotation system in place for the cooked meats and cheese that you slice. You must put in place a system which ensures that any member of staff can tell when an item on the deli menu must be used by.”