Login Register

League Two round-up

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 23, 2014

Comments (0)

MAX Kretzschmar’s first-half penalty gave struggling Wycombe Wanderers a surprise three points against League Two leaders Chesterfield.

Kretzschmar put the Chairboys ahead from the spot after Ian Evett handled Matt McClure’s cross.

The visitors almost levelled after the break but Evett’s headed effort was judged offside.

Gary Roberts fired from distance late on but Matt Ingram comfortably saved to give Wycombe their first win in ten.

The Spireites were without manager Paul Cook for the second half after he was sent to the stands on half-time for dissent.

David Syers helped himself to the first hat-trick of his career as Scunthorpe thrashed Pompey 5-1 to move level on points with Chesterfield.

Syers struck early with a deflected shot and Gary McSheffrey’s superb backheel set up Sam Winnall for his 17th of the season.

Paddy Madden teed up Syers for his second and then tapped in his first for the club just after the break.

Syers wrapped things up from Hakeeb Adelakun’s pass before debutant Michael Drennan headed a Pompey consolation.

The victory extended Scunthorpe’s unbeaten run to 16 matches, and only an inferior goal difference with the Spireites now keeps them off top spot.

Rochdale moved back into the automatic promotion places with a narrow victory at Exeter.

The Grecians are without a win at St James Park since October 5 and they went down to Jamie Allen’s goal on the stroke of half-time.

John O’Flynn blazed a gilt-edged chance over for the hosts, and Allen made them pay when he tapped in after his first effort was saved.

Matthew Lund hit a post for Dale as Exeter struggled after the break.

An injury-time equaliser from Morecambe defender Robbie Threlfall dropped Oxford to fourth in the table.

The U’s took the lead when David Connolly’s shot took a sharp defection off Morecambe skipper Mark Hughes and diverted past keeper Barry Roche.

Jack Sampson twice came close to a leveller, first shooting at keeper Ryan Clarke and then heading wide.

Threlfall poked home Andy Fleming’s corner from close range two minutes into added time to secure a point.

Mansfield notched an impressive win against promotion-chasing Fleetwood Town thanks to a first-half Matt Rhead winner.

Junior Daniel almost put the home side ahead early on, but fired straight at visiting keeper Chris Maxwell.

Rhead then broke the deadlock for the Stags when he headed home from a Chris Clements corner.

Gareth Evans and Antoni Sarcevic came closest to levelling for Fleetwood but Mansfield held on to seal three points.

The win keeps the Cod Army in fifth place on 52 points – the same number as Burton Albion who are one place below due to an inferior goal difference.

York failed to score for their fourth consecutive home game as seventh-placed Southend left Bootham Crescent with a point.

Ryan Bowman forced Daniel Bentley into a low save and Michael Coulson and Will Hayhurst also went close for the hosts.

Kevan Hurst fired the visitors’ best chance of the first half wide, while Barry Corr sent two headers off target.

Coulson came close to winning it for the Minstermen late on but his effort was blocked on the line.

Ashley Vincent’s first-half goal for Cheltenham meant that Newport lost ground on the sides currently in the League Two play-offs.

Andrew Hughes and Chris Zebroski squandered early home chances and Vincent, making his first start since re-signing for the Robins in August, converted Jermaine McGlashan’s cross.

The win means Cheltenham move nine points clear of the relegation zone.

But defeat leaves Justin Edinburgh’s hosts seven points off the play-off places.

Newport do continue to enjoy games in hand on their rivals, with the Brewers and Southend having played three games more.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters