HELP is at hand for anyone who wants to keep track of their budgets by food planning, shopping, making the most of left-overs and recipes while ‘on the go’.
The newly-updated app from Love Food Hate Waste (LFHW) was launched last month and is now available for both iPhone and Android devices.
The app enables users to organise a wide range of information and features, and tailor this to their own, individual requirements.
The free app offers a host of features including:
* ‘My kitchen’ – store details of all the foods you’ve got at home in your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Add ‘use by’ reminders so you don’t waste food
* Portion planner and a meal planning diary
* 100s of great recipes (with new ones regularly added) with simple, step-by-step instructions
* A feast of helpful tips and ideas from LFHW
* Keep a record of your own creations by adding your recipes to a ‘my cookbook’ section
* Rate and share recipes
* Portion planner and a meal planner diary
* ‘Shopping list’ not only tracks everything you need for your planned meals, but also alerts you if you have duplicates of any ingredients. Instantly ‘unpack’ your food purchases into your virtual kitchen
The updated app also offers a ‘my profile’ area where users can record what they’ve cooked, culinary ‘achievements’, and, the chance to opt for connecting via Facebook or Twitter with friends and family who also use the app.
“This all-new app, which is free to download and use, builds on the knowledge and expertise LFHW has gained over the years,” said LFHW’s Emma Marsh.
“In the UK, we throw away 7.2 million tonnes of food every year, much of which could have been eaten.
“This good food and drink costs us around £12bn a year, and the average household could save up to £50 a month by making the most of the food they buy.
“Wasting less food is not only good for our pockets, but it’s also good for the environment, helping to save energy and water, and reducing our carbon footprint. By making all this information available via the new free app, we want to make it even easier for people to get the most from the food they buy.”
Smartphone users can download the app from Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store.