Login Register

MP and armed forces charity hit out at ‘moron’ vandals who desecrated Burton war memorial

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: November 16, 2013

  • 15/11/13 War Memorial Vandalism - Burton War Memorial, Lichfield St, , Burton The wreaths that had been laid on Burton's War Memorial on Remembrance Sunday have been scattered all over the Memorial

  • 04/11/13 Poppy Launch - Cooper's Square, Burton Burton RBL Poppy Appeal Launch in Cooper's Square.FR: Mayor of ESBC Cllr Michael Rogers.BK L-R: Roy waterland, Ken Compton, Anne Compton, Alison Yeomans, Trevor Dyche

Comments (0)

VANDALS who desecrated Burton’s war memorial less than a week after its remembrance ceremony have been labelled as ‘mindless and despicable’.

Members of Burton Royal British Legion and town MP Andrew Griffiths hit out after poppy wreaths laid at Burton war memorial were damaged and thrown about by ‘callous morons’.

Now, calls have been made to beef up security at the Lichfield Street site to make sure this ‘never happens again’.

Anne Compton, Burton branch secretary and Poppy Appeal organiser for the town, said: “It is a despicable act that shows no respect for people who gave their lives for this country.

“I can’t believe that someone can physically do what they did.

“To desecrate this place is bad enough but to do it less than a week after we stood at the memorial to honour all members of the armed forces is disgusting and unforgivable.

“The problem is we will never catch those who were responsible and this is why we need better security at the memorial.

“If this was in place, then maybe incidents likes this would not happen.

“We will clean up the mess and tidy the memorial but this is something that should never have to be done. It is place to honour those who have given their lives so that we have ours and the world is a worse off place due to the mindless and callous morons who have done this.”

Staffordshire Police told the Mail that it had no reports of any vandalism or theft from the war memorial.

MP Andrew Griffiths told the Mail: “I am shocked and disgusted by this act.

“Coming less than a week after people young and old in the town gathered together our armed force, it is despicable.

“It is horrible to think that people can even comprehend undertaking these kind of malicious actions.

“I now hope the police will investigate and bring those responsible to justice and punish them.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES