Login Register

Man, 30, stabbed in Burton street

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 18, 2014

18/02/14 Stabbing Possible stabbing on the corner of Albert St and Waterloo St in Burton

Comments (0)

A MAN was airlifted to hospital following a suspected stabbing in a Burton street in broad daylight.

The drama unfolded at 12.15pm yesterday when emergency services were called to Waterloo Street, outside the Price Care shop, which was cordoned off following the attack.

Forensic experts examined the scene throughout the afternoon and blood stains could be seen on the pavement next to a pile of clothes.

Police told the Mail two men had been seen talking. Shortly afterwards one was left with stab wounds to his stomach and arm.

Sergeant Tyrone Kerr said at the scene: “A local British male was at the corner of Waterloo Street and Albert Street – whether he was there by appointment we don’t know.

“He turned into Albert Street on foot and met with another male. After a short exchange of words the injured party was seen to leave Albert Street and walk 10 to 12 yards to the front of Price Care shop and ask for assistance.

“He received fairly substantial abdominal wounds.”

Police cordoned off the scene and the injured man, a 30-year-old from Derby, was taken to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire.

Large crowds of people gathered on the street following the incident and spoke of their shock. One man, who did not want to be named, said: “Everybody knows each other here. He’s a friendly man and goes in the shop a lot.”

Maxine Carr, who lives on Waterloo Street, said: “Ten minutes before I heard the screech of a car. I went to get a loaf of bread and there was a bloke lying in the street.”

Hannah Wileman, 22, of Rowton Street, said: “I think it’s getting quite a bad place to live. We have lived here since Sep­tember and there have been a few things happen, which is scary when you have three young children.”

Her husband Nathan said: “We won’t be staying around here very long.”

Police are appealing for witnesses who saw the incident, or a man walking down from Waterloo Street to Albert Street with a knife. He is believed to have fled on foot, along Waterloo Street.

Detectives are examining CCTV footage for clues.

Bus routes were redirected as a result of the incident.

Police later said the man’s injuries were not life threatening.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters