THE manager of an Indian restaurant in Burton was told urgent improvements must be made following a visit from food hygiene inspectors.
Balti Tower, in Station Street, was given a rating of two out of a possible five following the visit by East Staffordshire Borough Council officials last month, when they inspected the kitchen, store room and yard.
In a report, a number of areas were detailed as needing immediate action – including tubs of raw meat in a fridge being stored above and next to ready to eat food.
The report said ‘the standard of cleaning throughout the premises was generally poor.’
A list of dirty areas were noted. They included:
. The ice cream freezer was heavily iced up and dirty.
. The handles of the microwaves in the kitchen were dirty.
. The floor and wall junction behind the fryers were greasy.
The report added: “You had not filled out the diary section of your Safer Food Better Business folder since December 2013, or your temperature record book since February 23. Your food safety management system stated that your staff should wear white overalls and caps and not wear any jewellery.
“However, it was noted that staff were not wearing hats but had on blue overalls, and one employee was wearing a watch.”
Manager Tanveer Hussain was disappointed with the score. He said the restaurant (pictured) opened 20 years ago and had never scored less than four following an inspection.
He said: “The inspector came back the day after the original visit.
“I am very disappointed.
“He saw for himself the next day that we had done everything he said.”