Login Register

Motorcycle catches fire at garage

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: September 28, 2013

Comments (0)

A MOTORCYCLE caught fire while parked against a commercial garage near Burton.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters from Barton under Needwood, Burton and Lichfield attended the fire at the John Ford MOT Testing Centre, based at Five Lanes End, at 7.41pm on Friday.

Crews used one main jet and breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire and an aerial ladder platform from Burton and the welfare unit were also required.

Firefighters also had to cut away fire damage to the roof of the garage and left the scene at 10.26pm.

A spokesman from the Jet petrol station, which is next to the test centre, said the motorcyclist had parked the bike next to the garage as it had been smoking and then it set alight.

She said: “It was only a small fire and it was contained to the side of the building.

“However, it did catch the top of the John Ford roof and they had to pull part of it down. It also damaged a telegraph pole and a tree.

“The cyclist thought he had put the bike somewhere safe. No-one was injured in the fire.”

Police were also called to control the traffic while the fire was being extinguished.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES