Login Register
 °

Mouldy table cloth used to cover food at Chinese restaurant

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 24, 2014

24/04/14 One-star RMP
Royal Harris restaurant - 1* Rate my place..

24/04/14 One-star RMP Royal Harris restaurant - 1* Rate my place..

Comments (0)

A MOULDY table cloth and napkins were being used to cover food at a Burton Chinese restaurant during an inspection by East Staffordshire Borough Council.

The Rate My Place team also found that food debris was lodged in the crack of a large wooden chopping block, while toilet roll was supplied in a dispenser for hand drying at Royal Harris in Borough Road, which also operates as a takeaway. As a result it received a mark of just one star.

In the report, the team noted that the table cloth was being used to cover foods in the walk-in chiller and that ‘because of its pale colour, the discolouration and mould spotting was very noticeable’. They also added that it was damp and had a faint odour. It was suggested that the table cloth should be sent away for microbiological testing, but instead it was immediately disposed of.

Chopping boards used to prepare raw food were also found to be kept next to where ready-to-eat foods were being prepared, posing a risk of cross-contamination.

Inspectors also found that the temperature of the walk-in chiller was too high, operating at 8.7C when high-risk foods must be kept at or below 8C. Members of staff were informed that if the fridge could not be repaired then it must be replaced. However they also found further problems relating to its condition.

The report said: “The handle of the walk-in chiller was broken and a make-shift handle covered with a dish cloth was being employed. Ensure the chiller door handle is repaired to provide a hygienic, cleanable surface.

“Surfaces including walls and flooring within the kitchen were dirty and required more attention to cleaning.

“The surface of one of the chest freezers in the kitchen was flaking off and must not, in its present condition be used to handle food on. Repair or replace the surface.”

During the visit it was also discovered that one member of staff had received no food hygiene training, which must be undertaken within a period of two months. Furthermore, when asked about the ownership of the business, a number of different responses were given and as a result a business registration form must be completed and returned to the council.

The Mail contacted Royal Harris for a comment, but was told that nobody would be available to answer before going to print.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES