Login Register

Mum jumps at chance to raise cash for hospital

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: January 24, 2014

Comments (0)

THE mother of an 11-year-old girl whose life was saved following a routine eye test has raised more than £2,000 for the hospital that treated her by doing a sponsored skydive.

Teresa Uncles, of Linden Road, Barton under Needwood, took part in the challenge to boost the coffers of Birmingham Children’s Hospital after staff removed a tumour from her daughter Lauren’s brain.

She finally completed the challenge on the third attempt after previous efforts had been cancelled due to bad weather.

The 35-year-old told the Mail that thinking of her daughter Lauren and what she had been through was what finally allowed her to take the leap out of the plane at Langar Airfield in Nottingham.

She said: “I finally got to do my skydive for Birmingham Children’s hospital and raised more than £2,000 for ward 10 as they saved Lauren’s life

“The day itself was fantastic. I was very nervous in the buildup but had lots of family with me there with lots of support. I got my jumpsuit on and me harness and felt ready but, once I got into the plane, it felt real.

“However, any nerves I had disappeared as I kept thinking that I was doing this especially for Lauren.

“Once the plane had reached 13,500ft it was time to go and before I knew it I was out and loving it.

“I was one of the best feelings I have ever experienced in my life and I finished with the perfect landing as I landed on my feet.”

The story of Teresa and her daughter was previously revealed in the Mail last year after eagle-eyed staff from Specsavers, in High Street, Burton, spotted the tumour during a routine eye check.

After being urged to head to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital for further tests, Lauren’s family were left ‘heartbroken’ following the shocking diagnosis.

Within 24 hours, the brave youngster went under the knife to have part of the tumour removed to stop her going blind and save her life.

Ms Uncles said: “It was just a routine eye test, but within 36 hours Lauren was having emergency lifesaving surgery.

“I was distraught, but just 36 hours after the eye test I watched Lauren go into surgery to have fluid drained and parts of the tumour removed.

“Luckily the doctors said it could not have gone better, but there is still a tumour in her head – it has just been reduced in size.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters