Login Register

Newhall residents speak of evacuation experience after 'explosive' drama

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: July 29, 2014

Comments (1)

RESIDENTS evacuated from their homes during an explosives alert have told of the dramatic moment they were told to leave their properties

Around 200 people in the Belvoir Crescent area of Newhall were sent away for the night as police and the Army dealt with a 'potentially volatile substance' in a flat on the road.

The whole area was cordoned off until mid-afternoon on Sunday after bomb disposal experts carried out a number of controlled explosions and made the area safe.

Alma Pye watched the drama unfold as she said outside her bungalow.

Related content

She said: "We saw about a dozen police come out and they went up the stairs with a battering ram. There was a lot of shouting, and then they brought out a man.

"The road was full of emergency vehicles – you couldn't see down it.We were told we had to stay here as we were going to be evacuated, and at 10.30pm we went to my daughter's. It was scary, but it could have been a lot worse."

Anita Stoddart and her family were enjoying an evening in the garden when they were sent away from their Beards Road home.

"We were told to come in for our own safety and to be prepared to be evacuated. We had to take enough things for 24 hours.

"We went to Pingle School as we had the dogs, but eventually went to my mum's.

"Police said they couldn't give us details and my daughter was really worried. She thought we would return to a pile of ashes."

Yesterday, a 55-year-old man was remanded in custody in connection with the alleged incident.

Glenn Robinson appeared at South Derbyshire Magistrates' Court to face charges of causing an explosion likely to endanger life, making an explosive substance for an unlawful purpose and production of cannabis. He will appear at Derby Crown Court on August 11.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • trendyface316  |  July 29 2014, 11:46AM

    that street was my hometown street my grandparents was in the residents evacuated they are 74 years and 73 years old they never slept or ate as they couldnt cope with being out of there surroundings so i think its about time the government told us what this substance was instead of trying to fob us off with fireworks like they told my gran its not fire works you dont call the army in and take 24 hours to remove anything fireworks are made from so come on tell every one the truth they deserve it

    |   2