A FORMER steam train cleaner died from cancer years after coming into contact with asbestos, his inquest has heard.
Peter King died at Hoar Cross Nursing Home on June 26 from mesothelioma, after being given the diagnosis on July 27 last year.
Corners officer Stephanie Mason told his inquest, held at Burton Town Hall, that the 78-year-old had successfully claimed for compensation from British Rail after his cancer diagnosis as he had worked for the company years previously cleaning the steam trains.
Mr King, who lived in Athlestan Way, Stretton, before moving to the nursing home, was placed in palliative care due to his condition after it was confirmed he was terminally ill.
He was also a non-smoker and very infrequent alcohol drinker.
His wife Linda said it a statement to the inquest: “It is a very cruel and distressing disease for both the patient and the career.”
South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh (pictured) said mesothelioma is nearly always linked to exposure to asbestos.
He said: “Mr King was 78 when he died and during his working life one of his jobs was with British Rail working on the steam trains where he was exposed to asbestos.
“A number of years later, in 2012, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
“As his wife confirmed, it is a horrible condition, not just for the patient but for the family as well.
“Mr King survived to make a successful claim against British Rail but his health gradually deteriorated and he was moved to the nursing home.
“I am satisfied he died from mesothelioma as the result of asbestos exposure.”
Mr Haigh recorded Mr King died as the result of industrial disease.
He said to Mrs King: “I know this probably comes as no surprise but I hope it has been of some assistance.
“This condition usually appears many years after exposure to asbestos and I am very sorry this has happened to you.”