08:00 Monday 10 February 2014

Asbo application refused by judge

Written byHELEN KREFT

A PROLIFIC offender from Newhall will NOT be the subject of an antisocial behaviour order (Asbo) after a judge rejected a police application when jailing the teenager.

Derbyshire police have said they are ‘disappointed’ after the judge refused their application to put an Asbo on the 17-year-old thief because his six month sentence would be ‘sufficient enough.’

The news was revealed at a Safer Neighbourhood meeting when Sergeant Jim Thompson, who leads the Swadlincote Town Safer Neighbourhood team, said repeat offenders had been targeting Sainsbury’s, in High Street, Newhall.

He said: “One prolific offender has been sentenced to six months in a young offenders’ institution. We applied for an Asbo but this was refused.”

The thief, who cannot be named due to his age, was arrested and charged with 10 counts of theft, driving while banned, Class B drug possession and breaching a Youth Referral Order.

Sergeant Thompson has since added: “He was given a six month sentence to serve three months and three months on a drug treatment order. The refusal of the Asbo was because the judge believed that the six month sentence was sufficient punishment in itself.

“Police and the Safer South Derbyshire Partnership sought an Asbo because he is a prolific offender whose behaviour was causing alarm and distress within the community and retail sector.

“The prohibitions of an Asbo would afford more control over him in a hope it would reduce his offending behaviour.

“While the result was disappointing we respect the decision of the courts. It was important however and in the public interest that the application was made for the courts to decide whether an order was necessary.”

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features