TRAFFIC monitoring is being carried out after an elderly man was taken to hospital after becoming the third victim of the notorious bollards in two days.
Paramedics and a rapid response vehicle attended the scene in High Street, at the junction with New Street, and took the man, who was suffering from chest and facial injuries, to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital.
Councillor Ron Clarke, who represents Burton town on Staffordshire County Council and who was involved with the first review into the rising bollards in 2011, said a meeting will take place in the next few weeks following a new review which had been due to end last month.
However, the county council added that it will be carrying out further traffic monitoring and a report will be revealed at the end of this month.
Councillor Clarke said: “I want to try and move things forward but it is not that simple.”
He made reference to the 2011 review when bus company, Arriva, refused to accept a completely pedestrianised High Street.
“It is not just about seeing the signs, it is about people not looking.
“I have seen comments from people stating their views and, like them, I thought it would have been simple.
“We had thought about CCTV but we are so restricted with guidelines.
“People suggested barriers but you have seen that someone broke a barrier at Asda, so how long would a barrier last in the town centre at night?
“No one wants their vehicle being spiked but it is a far better alternative than putting pedestrians in danger.”
His comments come after a permit holder became a victim on Thursday and an Audi was spiked on Wednesday.