A WOMAN from Birmingham was the latest motorist to fall foul of the bollards in Burton town centre.
Shahida Din had an appointment at Natwest in High Street at 10am this morning (Tuesday), and was relying on her sat nav to get her there.
She told the Mail: “I was using the sat nav and it told me to turn left. I was looking for Natwest. The bollard was down so I didn’t see it. I was just looking at the shops.”
The bollard came up as Mrs Din drove over it, causing damage to the front of her Audi car, including a section of the front bumper which came off and was lying in the road.
She said that there had been no bus in front of her, from what she could remember. Cars following buses have been a cause of past incidents.
In the last two weeks there have been a number of incidents of people hitting the bollards. These have included a pregnant woman who was given medical treatment for chest pains, and a pensioner who was taken to hospital.
A permit holder also got stung when she thought the bollards were down and being repaired.
The bollards are in place to stop vehicles using the route, and to keep the Market Place clear of traffic for pedestrians.
Only buses and drivers with permits can get through.
There are signs in place to this effect, but many have complained they are not clear enough.
Conor Wileman, who represents Burton’s Tower ward on Staffordshire County Council, said this week that a sensor on the bollards could allow cars to enter the restricted zone before they rise.
The driver, who would be trapped in the High Street, would have to a call a number to be released and would be fined for entering the restricted zone.
The county council will carry out traffic monitoring and reveal the result of a review into the bollards at the end of the month.
Councillor Ron Clarke, who represents the area for the county council, said: “It’s not about seeing the signs, it is about people not looking.”