A MAN was today recovering in hospital with serious facial injuries after a mass brawl broke out during an amateur football match.
Chaos ensued at Burton’s Anglesey Road recreation ground after two players were sent off in the match between Rec FC and Real Medina B, sparking a full-scale brawl involving players and coaches as well as onlookers who had come to watch the two sides.
Punches were thrown, while a match official claims he saw someone get a cricket bat out of his car before returning to the melee, with the violence forcing the match to be abandoned.
Police have launched an appeal for witnesses following the incident on Saturday afternoon which left a 26-year-old man in hospital.
Tensions were said to have been running high between the two teams prior to the Tag Championship league match.
A league source, who witnessed the brawl, said he expected both sides to be thrown out of the competition as a result of the incident.
The source, who asked not to be named, said: “The majority of it was supporters. There were a few players, but there was a lot of people who were down at the game.
“It only needed a spark. Things had been put on Facebook. It was like running battles on Anglesey Rec – someone could have been seriously hurt.
“There was that much going on. In my opinion a lot of people didn’t like each other.”
Nigel Peck, Burton FA chairman, said: “We are awaiting the referee’s report and it will be for the county FA to decide on any sanctions against either team.
“Obviously, it is something that displeases us very much and is not something we want to advertise, but it might send a warning out to players that we will be taking action once we know the full facts.”
Anyone with any information is asked to ring 101 quoting incident number 839 of October 12.
The Mail attempted to contact both club’s about the incident but without success.