THE vital work carried out by a South Derbyshire charity, which could fall victim to funding cuts, will be seen first hand by members of Derbyshire County Council.
Newhall based Home-start South Derbyshire, which provides support for young families, could lose essential funding as part of a review of family services across the county.
Derbyshire County Council has to save £157 million over the next four years and is consulting families with young children on what they think of services provided.
The Family Support Service Consultation ends on October 31.
The outcome could see funding slashed severely, and family services dramatically reduced.
A council cabinet meeting held this week was attended by representatives from Home-start South Derbyshire, where they were given the chance to put their point of view across.
Tracey Harris, manager at the charity based at the Old Post Centre, said: “We are having a meeting with the head of cabinet and children’s services to show them what we do at ground level.
“They are still reviewing it at the moment.
“They are not dismissing us. It may be that we have a reduction in funding - they may cut it.
“It just proves that it is quite useful to attend a cabinet meeting.”
People using the service were surveyed earlier this year, with one saying that the support they had received from Home-Start ‘literally saved my life,’ while another said they ‘would have been lost’ without it.
Last year, the service supported 109 families and 263 children.
Staff saw a 16 per cent increase in the number of referrals received from health visitors and children’s centres.
But they could lose up to 70 per cent of their funding following the consultation into family services.
Home-start South Derbyshire is a popular service and due to an increase in demand is currently recruiting for more staff.
Four volunteer positions are available, as well as one paid part-time organiser position.
More details can be found at homestartsouthderbyshire.org.uk.