A LEISURE centre’s customer has called for its ‘disgusting’ sauna to be immediately closed to the public because he felt it was a health hazard.
Alan Giles, 64, hit out over the dilapidated state of the room at Swadlincote’s Green Bank Leisure Centre.
Mr Giles, of Clay Street, Burton, claimed the walls were charred, the floor was covered in filth, lockers were broken and paint was peeling off the walls.
He said: “The floor was rank; it was in a disgusting state of repair.
“I think it’s a health hazard because you could get verrucas on your feet.
“It’s how things like athlete’s foot is transferred.
“It should be closed because I don’t think any member of the public should be allowed to be put through that.
“They have the cheek to charge you when it’s supposed to be a relaxing atmosphere.
“I went to the sauna to relax for an hour but how could I relax in that place – it was awful.”
Mr Giles, a retired wine rep, said he demanded his money back before raising his concerns with South Derbyshire District Council, which runs the centre.
He said: “It was the first and last time I will have been there.
“I would expect them to be clean and tidy. I can’t stress enough how awful it was.
“It needs a whole revamp and it should be closed now until further notice.
“It should have been a nice experience but it was a nightmare and people need to know.”
A spokesman from the district council said the sauna is due to be replaced as part of an overhaul of the centre.
The spokesman said: “The district council is currently in discussion with the contractor about the general refurbishment of the centre.
“Customers have told us that they would prefer for the sauna to continue until it can be replaced.
“A deep clean of the unit has been carried out.”