A BURTON takeaway has been told to clean up its act after it was given a damning report by environmental health officers.
Express Chicken, in Borough Road, received the lowest possible rating of zero under East Staffordshire Borough Council’s Rate My Place scheme.
The takeaway was visited by a hygiene inspector on October 22 and 23, and in the report, which has just been released, the establishment was deemed to need ‘urgent improvement’.
The report highlighted a total of 22 breaches of food, hygiene and safety regulations.
The inspector found two dead mice in the takeaway, along with droppings from the rodents.
The report said: “There were also a large number of holes in the structure of the premises which were large enough to allow pests to access the premises.”
Several breaches of food safety and hygiene regulations were noted, including chicken not being kept heated at the correct temperature and mayonnaise not being stored in a fridge.
There were also cross contamination issues between raw meat and ‘ready-toeat’ foods including salad being on a table used for raw meat preparation and raw burgers kept among ready-to-eat foods.
Chopping boards used for raw meat and salad were stored in contact with each other and tongs used for cooked products was stored with ones for partially cooked food.
One member of staff was also seen handling raw meat and then taking money and packaging cooked foods without washing his hands.
Other hygiene breaches included not having soap or hygienic hand drying materials at any of the hand basins or in the toilets.
The inspector also noted a waste tub in the rear yard which contained waste fat and had no lid.
The standard of cleaning in the premises was said to be ‘very poor’, and some of the main areas of concern in the report included dirty floors and walls and unclean microwaves.
The store’s owners were told to correct the most serious issues immediately, and were given up to two months to rectify less urgent problems.
Despite numerous attempts by the Mail to contact management about the report, nobody was available to comment.