STAFFORDSHIRE Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to consider fire safety when trying to keep warm – with temperatures expected to dip this weekend.
Last year, the service attended a number of incidents caused by heating appliances, open fires and chimneys.
Head of Risk Reduction Glynn Luznyj said: “We urge people to take extra care when using portable heaters and open or gas fires by not getting too close to them and by keeping flammable materials, such as clothes and curtains, a safe distance away.
“People who have open fires or wood burners should ensure that any wood being used as fuel is dry, as damp wood often spits when it is set alight.
“Residents are also encouraged to fit carbon monoxide alarms in their homes and test them on a regular basis as you would your smoke alarms.
“If your carbon monoxide alarm activates, our advice is to turn off any gas appliances straight away and open as many doors and windows as possible.
“If anyone experiences any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as headaches, dizziness or vomiting, call us and move to a location that has fresh air as soon as possible.
“We would also ask members of the community to check on vulnerable friends, neighbours and members of family to make sure that they are safe.”