PEOPLE are being urged to have their gas appliances checked to ward off leaks, fires or even explosions.
South Derbyshire District Council implored residents in the area to make sure they were ‘on top’ of gas safety as the cold weather closes in and more gas-related items begin to be used.
It comes after the Gas Safe Register revealed hundreds of home in the south of the county contained faulty boilers, cookers and gas fires due to shoddy installation or poor maintenance.
Now, council chiefs have released some tips for people to make sure their homes are safe in the run-up to winter.
A spokesman for the authority said: “We encourage people to have gas appliances checked every year.
“Poorly serviced gas appliances cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
“To stay gas safe, people should have their gas appliances checked every year.People should check that any engineer is Gas Safe Registered. Homeowners can find and check an engineer online or by calling 0800 408 5500.
More information is available by calling 01332 291134.