08:00 Wednesday 15 January 2014

Hospital trust paid out £2.3 million in compensation

Written byRICH GUTTRIDGE

Burton's Queen's Hospital Burton's Queen's Hospital

THE trust which runs Burton’s Queen’s Hospital shelled out nearly £2.3 million in compensation last year, it has been revealed.

The sum was paid out to settle cases of medical negligence that had occurred at its sites, including Queen’s Hospital.

Of the total amount, £1.4 million was awarded to patients who brought claims against the trust, with the rest going towards legal costs.

Bosses said the figure can fluctuate wildly from one year to another as some cases can take more than a year to settle.

A total of 19 claims were made against the trust during 2012/13, though all of those claims were not necessarily settled during the same period.

In addition, there was an £89,500 outlay for non-clinical claims such as public and employers’ liability claims.

The bulk of the £2.3 million was paid through the Clinical Negligence Scheme for Trusts (CNST).

It comes after what was a hugely turbulent year for the trust which saw it placed into special measures in the wake of the damning Keogh report.

Helen Ashley, chief executive of the Burton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said it paid more into the CNST to insure against cases of medical negligence than claimants had received.

She said: “The trust is part of an NHS scheme to insure against claims for clinical negligence cases.

“The trust consistently contributes more to the scheme than is paid out on our behalf and over the last three years, the actual amount the trust has been asked to contribute to the scheme has reduced year on year.”

The South Staffordshire Primary Care Trust, which covered Burton before it was abolished, paid out more than £800,000 in compensation during 2012/13.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features