HUNDREDS of families in Burton and South Derbyshire could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is feared after figures revealed the shocking number of unsafe gas appliances in the region’s homes.
The Gas Safe Register has revealed details of faulty boilers, cookers and gas fires due to shoddy installation or poor maintenance.
More than 300 homes in East Staffordshire and South Derbyshire were flagged up as having dangerous appliances.
The data was released to coincide with Gas Safety Week, with experts hoping the figures will act as a shock tactic to convince more people to get their appliances checked regularly.
Carlton Grostate, of Gas and Plumbing Services, based in Stapenhill, said he had encountered many horror stories in his line of work.
He believes both rogue engineers and lack of intelligence is responsible for the high number of faulty appliances.
He said: “There have been occasions where appliances have been found to be dangerous due to poor installation and if they can’t be remedied there and then on the spot they are disconnected and are repaired or removed.
“Some of it is down to poor maintenance, people being unaware how serious regular maintenance is. Some of it is DIY installation and people not being aware they need a gas registered engineer to carry out the work.
“Unfortunately there are also people in the industry who are not registered and carry out work insufficiently.”
Mr Grostate said carbon monoxide detectors should be mandatory in all homes.
He said: “I believe they should all be wired in like smoke alarms and be visible and audible.”
Russell Kramer, chief executive of the Gas Safe Register, said: “Our messages are simple – get your appliances checked every year, sign up for our reminder service and only use a Gas Safe registered engineer. It could save yours and your family’s lives.”