A BURTON man convicted of sexually assaulting two women while they were sleeping has been remanded for reports by a judge.
Jurors at Stafford Crown Court found Daniel Martin guilty of two charges of sexual assault, incidents separated by almost two years.
The court heard that a woman molested by Martin in 2010 came forward when she heard he had assaulted another woman in similar fashion last year.
She feared he might do it again and again.
Both women told similar stories of how they were fast asleep when they felt someone assaulting them in their sleep.
The first victim was in bed in her own home in Burton following a night out - but had forgotten to lock the door.
Even when she was woken up, she said Martin continued to molest her in spite of her protests.
It took her 20 minutes to get him out of her house.
At the time, she decided to make no formal complaint.
However, in March last year, Martin was arrested and charged with a sex assault on a woman sleeping on a sofa in a friend’s flat.
She too was woken up as the sexual assault took place.
She went straight to the police - and when the first victim heard about it, belatedly so did she.
The prosecution said Martin had ‘no business’ being in either of the premises where the women were sleeping and had no right to touch them.
Martin, 32, of South Broadway Street, Burton, had denied the charges, claiming he knew nothing about the assault in 2010 and that the other complainant had willingly performed a sex act on him.
However, Thomas Kenning, prosecuting, put to Martin: “This is a pack of lies - you took advantage of those sleeping women.”
During his time in the witness box, Martin continually denied he had done anything wrong and insisted that the women took part voluntarily.
Neither of the victims can be named due to legal reasons.
Judge Michael Elsom remanded Martin on bail for reports and will sentence him at Derby Crown Court on September 27.