HEALTH bosses have delivered a scathing assessment on hygiene standards at a Burton snack van which had ‘no regard’ for food safety, inspectors said.
Deano’s Snack Van, which trades in Third Avenue, was awarded zero stars after East Staffordshire Borough Council inspectors made the visit.
Inspectors found sausages stored at 60.5C, the temperature of the fridge – which was not working – was 21.5C and the temperature in a cool box was 17.1C.
In the report, published as part of the Rate My Place scheme, inspectors said staff demonstrated ‘no regard’ for temperature control and that food was ‘routinely being stored in the danger zone’.
Concerns were also raised about the ‘lack of regard to hand washing’ and cross contamination while the food preparation area and equipment were dirty.
There was also ‘no provision’ for cleaning work surfaces, the report said.
Staff at the van have now been ordered to complete food hygiene training.
In the report inspectors said: “Food was being stored in the food preparation area with no regard for food safety.
“Mushrooms and onions were being stored underneath damp and dirty cloths.
“It was clear from the lack of regard to hand washing facilities that personal hygiene was not given the full necessary attention.”
Food was found stored in the back of a ‘dirty’ van which also contained bags of rubbish, dirty equipment, dirty cloths and chemicals.
The inspectors were told during the inspection that staff washed their hands with hot water from the kettle.
But the petrol generator needed for the kettle to operate could not be started despite repeated attempts, the inspectors said.
The inspectors also said there was no provision for the collection of waste water
The Mail could not reach anyone from Deano’s Snack Van by the time it went to press despite repeated attempts.