TWO boy racers have been banned from the roads for a total of six months after they were captured reaching speeds of up to 73mph on St Peter’s Bridge, Burton.
The behaviour of Thomas Mangan and Elliot Wood during their escapade was branded as ‘unacceptable’ by magistrates after they were told to attend the Horninglow Street courthouse yesterday.
The pair pleaded guilty in writing to driving without due care and attention but had to attend court to consider disqualification.
Magistrates told them: “Your driving was careless, you were driving at speed in town, in a built up area and on a roundabout. It was unacceptable.”
Mangan, 22, of Occupation Lane, Woodville, was caught driving a Renault Clio, while Wood, 23, of John Street, Swadlincote, was driving a Vauxhall Astra, at 4.50am on May 10.
Both defendants were discovered driving along Evershed Way in the direction of St Peter’s Bridge, by an unmarked police car parked in Orchard Street near the roundabout.
David Bell, prosecuting, said: “Officers in the police car saw the cars drive across their line of sight. They followed and the two cars are seen to approach the island at high speed.
“The cars move onto St Peter’s Bridge with speeds of up to 73mph.”
The speed limits for Evershed Way is 30mph, while St Peter’s Bridge is 40mph.
The cars were seen entering the roundabouts at Evershed Way and at the junction with Branston Road side by side
Due to the bend of the roundabout the Renault Clio hit uneven ground which put the vehicle out of balance and therefore unstable.
Both then entered St Peters Bridge accelerated to between 60 and 70mph. Shortly after this they were both requested to stop by a police officer, which they did.
Both have clean licences with no previous convictions and had been heading home from a night shift.
In his admission letter to the court, Mangan said: “I was coming home from work and was travelling over the roundabout but increased my speed slightly to get past and we were side by side for a second.
“I understand what I did was wrong and I wouldn’t have done so in a high volume of traffic.”
Both men were not represented in court, and Mangan added yesterday: “I don’t think we were driving up to 70mph but we were driving without due care.”
Wood added that he accepted responsibility.
They both have been fined £325 each, with £86 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge and were each given a three month driving ban.