PEOPLE in South Derbyshire will be able to quiz fire chiefs about major changes to service provision in the area as part of a special consultation event.
Bosses from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service will be on hand from 9.30am to 4.30pm on November 15 in The Delph, in Swadlincote, to answer any questions members of the public may have.
Earlier this month, the service unveiled major plans that would change the face of firefighting across county forever.
These changes, if approved, would include the closure of Melbourne Fire Station, Swadlincote station would become a retained duty station and a brand new station would be built in Hilton.
Group manager Steve McLernon said: “We are holding a number of public consultation events across the county giving people the opportunity to talk to our officers about the proposals being put forward.
“There will be an opportunity to take the Survey at these events and I would encourage anyone who is unable to attend one of these events to take the time to visit our website, www.derbys-fire.gov.uk and look at the proposals being put forward and let the service know their views via the online consultation survey.”
The plans are part of a proposed major reorganisation of the fire service in a bid to save at least £4.4 million by 2017.
The service also wants to cut 78 firefighter posts – although it has pledged to do this by not replacing staff who leave or retire, rather than making redundancies.
If the plans are approved, a total of 19 fire stations across the county would be closed and eight new stations – merging some of the existing services – would be created.
This would take the total number of fire stations down from 31 to 20.
Chief fire officer and chief executive Sean Frayne said: “We are committed to ensuring we are ‘fit to respond’ to the many challenges we now face.”