TWO people had to be rescued after a fire erupted in their home.
A man and a woman were led to safety by firefighters after a fire in a wardrobe got out of control and engulfed the upstairs of the property in Merrydale Road, in Stapenhill.
The pair were taken to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital for treatment after suffering burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire caused the roof of the house to collapse and took several hours to put out.
Eyewitness Tom Hucker told the Mail: “I saw the flames, then heard the sirens and then saw firefighters with breathing apparatus leading two people away from the house.”