10:16 Friday 08 February 2013

The Craythorne claims another wedding victim

Written byBY MARK MCKAY

A DEVASTATED bride-to-be said she feel like “her life has finished” after her wedding venue went into administration.

The fallout from The Craythorne, in Rolleston, going into administration continued yesterday as another couple’s wedding plans were thrown into chaos.

Fulltime mum of six Emma Baker, 28, and Ken Hassent, 53, a redundant computer engineer, had planned the wedding of a lifetime, with the ceremony, breakfast and reception booked at the Craythorne Road venue for June 8.

The couple, of Derby Road, Burton, have been engaged three years since they began dating ten years ago.

But their wedding plans, which included an £850 deposit at for the venue, £600 spent on invites and £959 on the dress, were thrown in jeopardy on Monday when it was announced the venue’s owners had called in administrators.

Emma said: “I’m devastated.

“I’ve just shaking and crying all day.

“Even if we get the deposit back we can’t get anywhere else.

“I feel like my life has finished and that’s not going over the top.

“We have been saving up for the last ten years and it has gone down the pan.”

Emma said they can’t afford to change the wedding date as they have already paid the deposit for a limousine and booked registrars.

The couple, who were left homeless for six months after their house was gutted in a blaze last May, said they hoped to make a fresh start in 2013.

Emma said: “Everything has gone down hill ever since.

“We are looking at thousands of pounds we have lost.”

Ken, who was also hospitalised after a serious bout of pneumonia over Christmas, said: I don’t know how people can get away with it – but there’s nothing we can do to rectify it because we don’t have the resources.”

Andy Knight who runs the restaurant and function facilities at The Craythorne had not responded to a request for a comment by the time of going to press.

 

Craythorne site owner’s statement:

THE site owners at The Craythorne golf club have distanced themselves from the closure of the restaurant and function facilities.

Matthew Wright, director of R Peach and Co, said in a statement: “We would like to point out that The Craythorne business was transferred to Andy Knight in October last year, along with the existing customers on discounted terms. It is his business that has closed.

“R Peach and Co Ltd paid off all suppliers in full before the transfer.

“The driving range will stay open, as will Connors’ hairdressers.”

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features