A HOST of electrical goods sold in Burton shops which could cause serious harm have been removed from sale to protect the public.
Staffordshire County Council’s trading standards team has joined the Electrical Safety Council in efforts to remove faulty or counterfeit electrical goods which can lead to fires or cause electrocution.
Trading standards officers visited 15 shops including charity and independent shops in the town with 32 items failing tests.
Failed goods had old style plugs fitted, the wrong fuses fitted in plugs and faulty wiring.
Items tested included amplifiers, fridges, freezers, radiators and drinks chillers.
Goods tested with high or no earth readings could cause electrocution, while exposed wiring can cause electrocution and start fires.
Communities leader Pat Corfield said: “It is vital that electrical goods are safe as they can be potentially lethal if faulty.
“It’s important that all traders ensure electrical items sold on their premises are safe and have been properly tested.
“We lead by example in Staffordshire and it is a priority to ensure people are safe and not put at risk.
“Our trading standards team has carried out an electrical goods safety check project across the county and did find products on sale which were faulty – causing risk of electrocution or fire hazard.
“We will carry out similar initiatives in the future and would ask traders selling electrical goods to think about their responsibilities to the public and have items properly checked by a qualified electrician.
“We want to work with them and are on hand to offer advice should they need it.
“We would also ask people to be extra vigilant when shopping for electrical goods.”