17:00 Thursday 02 January 2014

Worker put boss in hospital in forklift row


webpic webpic

A WAREHOUSE worker left his boss with serious injuries after he attacked him in a row over a forklift truck.

Mohammed Saeed struck his supervisor Ulvis Melngailis with a scanner at the Boots Distribution Centre, in Burton’s Centrum 100 business park, Burton Magistrates’ Court was told.

Mr Melngailis was hit twice with the device, used for checking goods, leaving him with head injuries, cuts and swelling to the face.

Saeed, 27, was charged with inflicting actual bodily harm following the attack, on December 3, which happened after he was told by his supervisor that he couldn’t drive a forklift truck as there weren’t enough to go around for the drivers.

The order was said to have enraged Saeed who unleashed a tirade of abuse before striking Mr Melngailis.

Emma Thompson, prosecuting at Burton Magistrates’ Court, said: “The injured party made a decision to remove the driver from the forklift truck as there was not enough for all the drivers.

“Mr Saeed approached the injured party, shouting about the fact he had been taken off the forklift truck.

“The injured party says he became abusive towards him, saying never to take him off again.”

Mr Melngailis ordered Saeed to go home following the rant at the warehouse and it was then that he turned violent.

Ms Thompson said: “He struck him in the face with the scanner gun a couple of times before he fell to the floor and banged his head.

“He had to attend Burton’s Queen’s Hospital with a number of injuries. He had a cut from his nose to the top of his lip and his face was swollen.

“He had a cut to the back of his head which had to be glued.

“It was an attack with a weapon which caused significant injuries.”

Saeed, of Napier Street, Burton, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

He was released on conditional bail and is due to be sentenced on January 20.

< Back
Reddit Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Twitter Bebo

Latest News

Latest Sport

Today's Features