A MOTHER-OF-THREE has spoken of her terror after her home went up in flames.
Molly Godfrey, her mother, and her three children were dramatically rescued from her first floor flat, in High Street, Repton, last week, by members of the public after she screamed for help at her kitchen window.
The mother and her children aged eight and five, and her 10-month-old baby were all treated at the scene but were uninjured.
She said: “My mother and I were in the kitchen, I was cooking dinner and my mother was washing up. My children were playing in my bedroom on the other side of the flat.
“All of a sudden the children came running along saying there was smoke everywhere. The living room and hall were completely black and smoke was streaming through the kitchen door.
“I just went to the kitchen window, opened it and shouted for help.
“I saw two men come out with two ladders and all of a sudden this man was sitting on my window ledge with such a calm face, saying we will get you out of here. The way they were acting was just so calm.
“I was the last in flat which was very scary. We were panicking so much. By this point the flat was filling up with smoke so it was pretty frightening.
“If the children hadn’t have come out of the bedroom when they did, it could have been a lot different.”
The cause of the fire was given as ‘an accumulation of flammable items placed around the central heating boiler’ however Miss Godfrey says her folded up clothes were far away from the boiler.
The 30-year-old said: “We had to have the heating on, and the cupboard where the boiler is I have to use as my drying cupboard so I have clothes in there.
They were folded up and far away from the boiler.
“To me a boiler shouldn’t set on fire just because there were clothes in the cupboard. I have lived there for five years and have never changed the way I use the boiler. It is not something I thought would happen.”
Miss Godfrey is now staying in temporary accommodation while work continues on her flat.