Login Register
 °

PDSA issue warning to cat owners about flea products

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: July 31, 2014

Comments (1)

CAT owners in Burton have been issued with a stern warning following a large number of accidental poisonings over recent months.

The issue, raised by animal charity PDSA, came after vets reported more than 20 cases of accidental poisoning every month caused by owners using flea treatments intended for dogs on their cats.

The flea products can be fatal if given to cats due to a highly toxic insecticide called permethrin, which is found in some products.

Some owners are also failing to follow the on-packet guidance relating to dosage.

Stephanie Hu, head nurse at Companion Care Vets in Burton, said: "I have seen cases like this where people are using the wrong product and often it is because they are buying it from over the counter rather than having it prescribed by a vet.

"People don't realise just how toxic the products can be if given to the wrong animal or in the wrong amounts.

"We try to educate people about the importance of getting flea treatments prescribed at a vets, but from what I have seen about 60 per cent of the pet owners I speak to buy the products off the shelf and do it in their own homes."

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • olivier  |  August 01 2014, 11:35AM

    Well of course we buy them off the shelf - who can afford the exhorbitant fees that vets charge? they are only surpassed by dentists.

    |   1

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES