Login Register

Pair appear in court following alleged incident in a Swadlincote pub

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: June 03, 2014

  • Empire pub

Comments (0)

TWO men have appeared in court charged in connection with an alleged incident inside a South Derbyshire pub which saw two people left unconscious and needing hospital treatment.

Derbyshire Police said Paul Griffin, 38, and Thomas Griffin, 19, both of Lime Tree Avenue, Midway, were arrested following an alleged altercation in the early hours of Sunday morning inside the New Empire pub in West Street, Swadlincote.

The men have appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court, where the older man was charged with alleged offences including actual bodily harm and wounding and the teenager with actual bodily harm.

Paul Griffin is next due to appear at Derby Crown Court on June 16 and is subject to a curfew. Thomas Griffin has been remanded in custody until a court appearance on Friday.

Officers from Swadlincote Police Station, off Civic Way, were called to the alleged incident just after 1.15am.

A man and a woman were found unconscious at the scene and an emergency team from East Midlands Ambulance Service was sent to the venue.

Both casualties were taken to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital for treatment.

The injured man was discharged on Sunday night, while the woman remains at the Belvedere Road site as she undergoes further treatment.

A spokesman for Derbyshire Police said: “We can confirm that two men, one aged 19 and another aged 38, were arrested following an incident at the New Empire in Swadlincote on Sunday morning.

“A male and female also involved in the incident were taken to Burton’s Queen’s Hospital after being knocked out and found to be unconscious.

“After subsequent investigation Paul Griffin, 38, and Thomas Griffin, 19, were charged.

“Paul Griffin was charged with actual bodily harm, wounding and a further offence, and Thomas Griffin with actual bodily harm.

“The pair appeared at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court.”

A court spokesman told the Mail: “Thomas Griffin was remanded in custody until being ordered to appear again at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court on June 6. A trial date has been set for June 26 after he pleaded not guilty.

“Paul Griffin’s case was sent to be heard at Derby Crown Court on June 16, and he has been given a curfew between 7pm and 6am, told not to contact the male and female involved in the incident and not to enter any public houses.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters