WHEN workman Lee Sharratt took a bite of a supermarket Cornish pasty the last thing he expected was to get a mouthful of a plastic.
But that’s exactly what the 34-year-old landscaper got when he tucked into the savoury snack (right) from Morrisons during his lunch break.
The Swadlincote supermarket has apologised to Mr Sharratt, and claimed what he sank his teeth into was blue polythene used to hold ingredients before the goods are cooked.
Mr Sharratt, of Short Street, Stapenhill, told the Mail he was far from impressed with his lunch, and also with how the store at The Pipeworks handled his complaint.
He said: “The first bite I had was into some blue plastic.
“I went back into the store but I was just fobbed off and given a phone number, that is all that was done.
“I think it’s disgusting to be honest with you, not just finding that in the pasty but the treatment afterwards as well.”
Mr Sharratt handed the offending snack back over to store, but not before taking a photo of the item and showing it to other customers about to do their shop.
“They thought it was disgusting as well,” he said.
“If a younger customer or a child was given that then it’s a choking hazard, it’s a barrier against disease so there’s nothing more unhygienic than biting the outside of that.”
Mr Sharratt also dished out some parting words of wisdom for the company.
“They need to tighten up with health and safety,” he said.
“Checks still need to be done and show some goodwill in someway.”
A Morrisons spokesman said its supplier had carried out a thorough investigation.
He said: “ Despite the rigorous checks and quality control we ask all of our suppliers to have in place, on this occasion the object was not detected.
“We have implemented further controls to ensure this does not happen again. We have apologised to Mr Sharratt for any distress or inconvenience this may have caused.”