Login Register

Player badly hurt after attack at football match

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: May 13, 2014

Comments (0)

A FOOTBALLER was left with a fractured cheekbone and a broken nose as violence once again marred a match in Burton’s amateur game.

The attack came after a game between Rec FC and Blacksmiths Arms at the Anglesey Road recreation ground was abandoned on Saturday afternoon.

The victim, a Blacksmiths Arms player, needed hospital treatment following the attack and was today said to be recovering at home.

Police have launched an investigation into the incident and are keen to speak to anyone who saw what happened.

A league source, who was at the match, said the violent side of the game must be eradicated.

Saturday’s match was called off by Dave Clarke, the same referee who was headbutted at a game in January.

That incident came just three months after a brawl at another game involving Rec FC left a man with facial injuries, this time against Real Medina B.

The source, who asked not to be named, said a seemingly innocuous challenge during the match led to scuffles between the players before referee Mr Clarke decided he had seen enough.

He said: “One of the Rec FC lads thought there was a foul and it wasn’t given and the other player carried on.

“The Rec FC player gave him some abuse, there was a bit of pushing and shoving and the referee abandoned it. He said ‘I’ve had enough of this abuse’.

“As the players went off to get changed one of the lads was hit from behind.

“I think it’s disgraceful and disgusting and the Burton FA need to do something about it.”

Nigel Peck, Burton FA chairman, said: “We are waiting to see what actually happened and for the referee’s report.

“It will be in the hands of the Birmingham County FA, who oversee the league in Burton. Obviously it’s very unsavoury and displeases us very much.”

Sergeant Bob Champeau, of the East Staffordshire Policing Team, said: “We received a call at around 2.15pm to reports of an assault at a football match.

“A male was reported to have punched another male in the face, causing nasty injuries. The match was abandoned as a result and the victim was taken to hospital.”

Anyone with any information is asked to call Staffordshire Police on 101.

The Mail attempted to contact Rec FC several times without success.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters