Login Register

Police and HSE probe death of lorry driver at Toyota

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: January 23, 2014

Comments (0)

INVESTIGATIONS are continuing today into the circumstances surrounding the death of a lorry driver at South Derbyshire’s Toyota factory.

Police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are trying to ascertain how the 56-year-old man became trapped between two lorries at the Burnaston plant, which resulted in his death in the early hours yesterday morning.

Emergency services attended the site at around 12.40am, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

Derbyshire Police said the investigation remained at an early stage but that the death was not thought to be suspicious.

The driver was from Suffolk and worked for a haulage company based there.

His family has been informed of his death, the force said.

A spokesman said: “A 56-year-old man has died after becoming trapped between two lorries at the Burnaston site of the car maker Toyota.

“We were called to attend the incident at 12.40am and inquiries are at an early stage.

“We are currently heading the joint investigation with the HSE.

“There do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances.”

Flags at the Burnaston site were flown at half-mast yesterday, with bosses at the car giant expressing their regret following the incident and passing on condolences to the driver’s family.

The company said it would not answer any questions regarding safety at the plant at the current time and was assisting the police and the HSE with the investigation.

A spokesman for Toyota said: “It is with great regret that I must inform you that we had a severe incident on site which unfortunately resulted in a lorry driver receiving serious injuries sadly resulting in his death.

“We are not able to give any details but we are supporting the authorities with their inquiries.

“We extend our condolences to the driver’s family and friends.”

A spokesman for the Health and Safety Executive said: “Our investigator was at the scene yesterday conducting her joint inquiry with the police.

“We were made aware of an incident which happened at 12.38am.”

Derbyshire Coroner’s Office said it had been informed about the lorry driver’s death.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters