APPLEWOOD is a tangy, smokey flavoured cheese which is made using a naturally-derived smoke flavouring added to the cheddar during cheese making process.
Finally, paprika is sprinkled onto the hand turned cheese, to give Applewood it’s distinctive amber appearance.
This recipe serves 6-8
You will need:
1 x 320g ready rolled puff pastry
2 tablespoons onion jam or chutney
100g Applewood spreadable smoked cheese
Knob of butter
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
Half a small pumpkin, peeled, de-seeded and diced small
1 small bunch of kale leaves, about 6 to 8 leaves, trimmed and roughly cut
100g pancetta, diced, or lardons
Half an onion, peeled and sliced
50g chopped walnuts
Fresh herbs, chopped such as parsley or thyme
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Line and/or grease a large pizza tray or baking tray.
2. Cut the ready rolled pastry into a large round to fit the tray, if it is square or rectangular. Lay it on top of the baking paper.
3. Spread the Applewood spreadable cheese over the pastry and then spoon over the onion jam/chutney, almost to the edge of the pastry circle.
4. Heat up a large pan and sauté the garlic and pumpkin (or squash) in a little butter, sauté over a medium heat until the pumpkin is nearly soft and charred around the edges. (Alternatively, you can roast the pumpkin.)
5. Once cooked, add the chopped kale to the pumpkin and allow to wilt in the pan. Then add the chopped onion and mix well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
6. Spoon the pumpkin mixture over the cheese and onion jam and then scatter the pancetta and walnut pieces over the mixture.
7. Bring the edges of the pastry circle up and make a crust around the filling, see photos, so the tart or galette is like an open-faced tart.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is cooked and has puffed up, the pancetta is cooked and crisp and the walnuts are toasted but not burnt.
9. Serve immediately, cut into wedges, with some fresh herbs sprinkled over the top and with a mixed salad and/or seasonal vegetables. For a vegetarian option, omit the pancetta.