Login Register

Residents evacuated and man arrested following fire at Burton flat

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: May 19, 2014

  • 19/05/14 Fire Fire at a property on the junction of Sydney St and Goodman St, Burton

Comments (0)

PEOPLE living in a Burton Street were subject to a late-night evacuation from their homes after a blaze tore through an upstairs flat.

Police were called to the property above the Supreme Fish Bar on the junction between Sydney Street and Goodman Street at around 10.45pm on Sunday, where a man was believed to have barricaded himself inside and was in possession of weapons before the fire broke out and Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service attended.

They confirmed that a 32-year-old man from the Burton area was arrested at the scene and is currently being held in custody while he is questioned. Residents from five houses in nearby Goodman Street were asked to leave their properties. One woman, who does not want to be named, told the Mail: “We were asked to leave at around 11pm, and we weren’t allowed back inside until about 1.20am. We were told there were gas cylinders inside, which is why they evacuated us. They thought the smoke could get in through the roof.”

Another resident, Mubashir Abbasi, who lives in Sydney Street was in bed when he heard sirens outside his house. He said: “I came down and looked out the window and saw that police had closed off the street and were asking people not to come through.

“When I looked over the road I saw flames were coming out of the window, and when a door was opened, black smoke came pouring out.”

A police spokesman told the Mail: “It was reported that a man had barricaded himself inside the premises and he was believed to be in possession of weapons.

“When officers arrived they noticed smoke coming from the property and colleagues from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service (FARS) were called. Officers arrested the man, a 32-year-old from Burton, and he was taken into custody where he remains for questioning.

“The area remained cordoned off while colleagues from FARS carried out safety checks at the property and neighbouring premises.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters