Login Register

Road changes complete to boost safety on A38

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 25, 2014

Andrew Griffiths

Andrew Griffiths

Comments (0)

A RAFT of measures along an accident-plagued section of the A38 are now up and running in a move described as ‘momentous’ by Burton’s MP.

Andrew Griffiths revealed to the Mail that a 60mph speed limit was now in effect between Branston and Barton under Needwood after workers from the Highways Agency finished installing signs up and down the carriageway.

This, along with the recent closure of controversial gaps in the central reservation, formed part of a campaign to make the road safer for drivers.

Now, Mr Griffiths said it was time to ‘keep a close eye’ on the new measures and make sure services such as the police enforced the new speed limit.

He said: “It is great to finally see that all the measures that so many campaigned for are now in place and up and running.

“I am sure a lot of people will now travel the road very happy that the A38 is now a much safer place to drive along.

“I would like to thank the Burton Mail and all of the partners who have worked hard to make sure that we pushed through these vital changes.

“The work now turns to the likes of the police who will have to make sure that drivers are following the new speed limit.

“Also, officers from the Highways Agency have told me that they will monitor the new changes and, if in time, it becomes apparent that more changes are needed then these will be put in place .

“This could include measures such as fixed camera sites, if people do not learn to abide by the new measures.

“This is a momentous day for people across the town.”

The safety plans were nearly abandoned earlier this year after just three people objected to the changes as it would have meant they would have to spend more money on petrol and have longer journeys to reach their homes.

These objections were thrown out by highways chiefs and the green light was given, much to the delight of campaigners which included police chiefs and the fire service.

The work was put in place following the tragic deaths of two sisters in 2012.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES