A FORMER cinema set to be transformed into a club and restaurant is on the verge of opening after external plans were revealed.
Burton is set to welcome Robins World Buffet and Club Red into the former Robins cinema, in Guild Street, once final plans have been approved by East Staffordshire Borough Council.
The Robins sign will be taken down and replaced with Robins World Buffet, while the rear entrance, in George Street, will become the nightclub.
The Mail visited the Grade II listed building in May to witness the upstairs bar being restored to its former glory. The cinema chairs had been ripped out of both auditoriums which have now become one large room catering for the nightclub upstairs and the buffet downstairs seating around 350 people.
Plans have now been submitted to refurbish the front entrance and replace the original security shutters with roller shutters
The applicant, Dee Sandhu, is also seeking permission for advertising signs for both the restaurant, and nightclub which will include a sports bar and function suite.
Peter Prescott, of PP Building Design – acting as agents, said in the design statement: “The front entrance area is dilapidated through age, neglect and inappropriate previous maintenance: refurbishment of the canopy and the side of the front entrance recess will improve the external appearance.”
The cinema was opened in 1935 as The Ritz, on the site of St George’s Hall.
The cinema changed ownership and underwent a series of name changes.
It was subdivided in late 1970s and was further refurbished in 1980s, before closing in 1999 when Cineworld opened, in Middleway Park, in 2000.
The once great opera building was then left to the elements – and the pigeons.