Login Register

Roof jumper escapes without ‘life-changing’ injuries

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 06, 2014

Comments (0)

A MAN who jumped from the roof of a two-storey house in Burton has miraculously escaped with no life-threatening injuries.

The man, who has not been identified, remains in hospital with problems in his lower back, as well as cuts and bruises, but a spokesman for Staffordshire Police said the issues were not serious.

He leapt from the building, which is opposite Anglesey Primary Academy in Clarence Street, onto a car below, breaking the windscreen and damaging other parts of the car.

The man spent around an hour on the roof on Monday, during a stand-off with specially-trained police officers which ended with him jumping to the street below.

During that time, he dislodged tiles and television aerials and discarded them onto the road, damaging a number of cars.

The road was cordoned off for several hours while the drama unfolded, and as police and fire crews dealt with the aftermath of the incident.

Mohammed Arfam, who owns the house from which the man jumped, told the Mail: “I didn’t know the guy. It was a bit scary. There was a family inside. He’s broken a lot of tiles.”

Robert Sadki, whose wife and two-year-old child were in the house at the time, said somebody had called him when the man mounted the roof. His wife’s sister was also in the house.

“They’re safe,” he added.

Police were called to Clarence Street at 10.20am on Tuesday.

Another man, who lives on that road, said the man who jumped had been walking up and down the street before climbing onto the houses, and ripped off aerials on several homes.

Staff at the school opposite closed the blinds to shield children from seeing the man, who police have described as, distressed, and witnessing the jump onto Peel Street.

Parents collecting their children for lunch were sent text messages asking them to come to another door, and they then had to stay out of the area which police had cordoned off, which extended across the length of the front of the school.

The man was taken to Queen’s Hospital, in Burton, by ambulance, and arrived there with a police escort.

The Mail understands police are looking to arrest the man when he is released from hospital.

No information has been revealed about why he was on the roof.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters