Login Register

Runner’s second bite at Big Apple marathon

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: October 18, 2013

Paul Waters

Paul Waters

Comments (0)

AFTER his dreams of competing in the New York Marathon were scuppered by one of the worst storms to hit the United States, Paul Waters says he has unfinished business.

Mr Waters, from Branston, is once again preparing for one of the world’s most keenly contested marathons and is adamant that nothing will stand in his way this time after superstorm Sandy knocked his plans off course last year.

It meant what was supposed to be his 40th birthday celebrations turned into a rather miserable experience.

The journey wasn’t a complete loss however, with Mr Waters deciding to run his own marathon around the city’s Central Park instead.

Naturally, he has been keeping an eye on events in the Big Apple, praying that all goes to plan next month.

He said: “There has been a bit of trouble over there recently, I saw they had to close the Statue of Liberty (due to the Government shutdown), but hopefully everything is going to be ok this time.

“I have unfinished business and after last year. I think it’s going to be special for a lot of people after it was cancelled last year and I’ll still be 40 for a week, so I can still celebrate my birthday.”

Despite the drama of last year, Mr Waters said it didn’t put him off wanting to compete in the marathon.

He said: I don’t think there was any bit of me that didn’t want to go back. It’s one of the biggest marathons in the world and I felt a bit cheated after last year.”

Mr Waters is raising money for the Wales Air Ambulance after the support he received following a motor racing accident five years ago.

Anybody wanting to donate to the cause can do so at www.justgiving.com/tryagain

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES