Login Register

SCOUTING REPORT: York City 1, Torquay United 0

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 26, 2014

Comments (0)

BURTON Albion's next opponents – York City – moved back into the League Two play-off places following a sixth successive league victory and a fifth successive clean sheet as they beat Torquay United 1-0.

The Minstermen were made to work hard for the three points, with Will Hayhurst’s goal on 10 minutes proving to be the difference between the sides.

The victory has seen Nigel Worthington’s side leapfrog Southend into seventh place, with the side now holding a precious two-point cushion over the Shrimpers and Plymouth.

Ahead of the game, Worthington was forced into changing his team for the first time in five matches following Josh Carson’s serious injury at Portsmouth at the weekend.

That earned Ryan Jarvis a recall on the wing with Michael Coulson remaining up front.

The manager was also forced into a change on the bench with new signing Calvin Andrew drafted straight into the squad in place of the injured Wes Fletcher.

Former Brewers duo Russ Penn and Adam Reed (pictured) once again formed York's midfield.

In a quiet opening to the game, Torquay had the first effort on goal with defender Krystian Pearce heading wide of the target from Kevin Nicholson’s delivery.

Pearce’s attempt was a half-chance at that but it sparked the game into life with City scoring on their first attack.

Hayhurst had gone on record about his wait for a first York goal but his patience was finally rewarded as he found the net on ten minutes.

The winger was given time to turn from Lanre Oyebanjo’s throw, and he did not pass up invitation to shoot, with his effort finding the net via a deflection off Aaron Downes.

The goal seemed to lift York and they almost scored a second two minutes later, with Reed going close.

Oyebanjo was involved in the action once again as he picked out Jarvis in the area with the ball breaking to Reed, who fired just over the bar.

The Minstermen were hunting a crucial second goal and they nearly took advantage as referee Eddie Ilderton waved play on for a foul on Coulson.

Ryan Bowman was the beneficiary as he raced towards the area, only to drag his shot wide with Downes closing him down.

Torquay had only threatened from a deflected Niall Thompson effort in the first 30 minutes but that was about to change prior to half-time. Midfielder Ben Harding was the first to go close for the visitors as he headed over Nick Pope’s crossbar from Billy Bodin’s delivery.

It was the Gulls’ next chance that nearly brought a goal with Keith Lowe having to head clear after John McCombe uncharacteristically sliced Thompson’s delivery across the face of goal.

From the resulting corner, former Leeds forward Enoch Showunmi nearly levelled the scores, with his header nearly dropping in at the far post.

Chris Hargreaves’ team were pressing for an equaliser and it nearly arrived on the stroke of half-time through captain Lee Mansell.

A foul by Reed on Harding gave Mansell the chance from 20 yards, but Pope tipped his low free-kick around the post.

Torquay had finished the first half the brighter of the sides but they almost found themselves with an uphill battle to climb four minutes after the break.

Reed was to be denied a first goal for the club since his return by Martin Rice after Jarvis had spotted his intelligent run into the area.

Just prior to the hour mark, Hayhurst almost doubled the scoreline - and his York tally - as he burst through on goal, only to lift his effort over.

Oyebanjo then almost finished off a trademark run towards the area with his effort just flying over Rice’s crossbar.

Just as in the first half, the tide would soon change with the visitors finishing the stronger of the sides.

Pope had to be alert as he firstly stopped a swerving 25-yard effort from Bodin before he comfortably collected Nicholson’s tame free-kick.

The visitors had failed to create any clear-cut chances in the match but they almost restored parity on 75 minutes as ex-Brewer Anthony O’Connor’s miscued delivery almost found its way into the net.

They were to go even closer with six minutes remaining as Downes was guilty of wasting a golden chance, as he could only guide his header straight at Pope.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters