Login Register

SLIDESHOW: Gresley 2, Sheffield FC 0

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 09, 2014

Comments (0)

MARTIN Rowe hailed the impact of substitute Zibussio Nyatitio following Saturday’s 2-0 victory for Gresley over Sheffield.

Nyatitio grabbed the hosts’ second before a superb late Mats Morch penalty save denied Sheffield the chance to get back into the game.

The Gresley manager said: “We brought Zibussio Nyatitio on and went 4-4-2 and it changed the game.

“He’s a player who has no fear and he goes for everything even if he’s not going to get to the ball – but he gets there and it makes all the difference.

Gresley are now up to 13th in Evo-Stik First Division South and 11 points clear of the drop zone.

“I think we will be safe this season,” said Rowe. “Our away form has not been good enough and we’ve conceded too many sloppy goals and we’ve made too many mistakes on our away games.

“Sometimes it has been down to the officials as well, but we take that on board and we’ve got to start planning now.”

With Kieran O’Connell and midfielder Jack Langston sidelined with injuries, Mickey Lyons came back into midfield for the Sheffield game.

Alex Steadman started up front in place of Royce Turville, who tweaked a calf muscle in training in midweek.

Chances were at a premium in the first half hour as both sides largely cancelled each other out.

Paulo Piliero headed Steadman’s cross straight at keeper Liam Mitchell, while Lucas Harrison directed a shot at the Sheffield number one moments later.

Sheffield had a golden opportunity to take the lead just after the half hour mark.

A quick break down the right by Matt Roney ended with a great cross into the box that was missed by Joel Purkiss - with the goal at his mercy.

The home side forced three consecutive corner kicks, but all were repelled by a resolute Sheffield defence.

Spencer had the last chance of the half when he burst clear of the visitors’ backline – only to launch his effort well over the bar.

Sheffield made a change for the start of the second half with Andrew Gascoigne replacing James Gregory.

On the hour Spencer was sent clear once again, but this time Mitchell rushed out of his box and managed to block with his legs.

Ten minutes later there was another good chance for Gresley.

Spencer was through on goal, but instead of shooting he chose to square a pass for Piliero which did not quite come off – and the chance was gone.

Gresley took the lead with 15 minutes remaining.

Steadman flew down the right and picked Spencer out in the middle of the box, who gleefully slipped the ball home.

The hosts doubled their lead six minutes later – with Spencer the provider this time.

His run down the right was finished by Nyatitio, who had replaced Lyons just 10 minutes earlier.

The final few minutes could have been a tense affair after Sheffield were awarded a soft penalty in time added on.

Jamie Barrett made the faintest of contact on Zeph Thomas, who produced a spectacular dive which appeared to persuade referee Richard Price to award the spot-kick.

Gascoigne stepped up but justice was done when Morch chose the correct way – diving to his left to superbly push the ball away for a corner and make sure of the clean sheet.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters