Login Register

SLIDESHOW: Paul Mitchelson’s kick-boxing title defence ends in agony

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: March 28, 2014

  • 22/03/14 Kickboxing Kick Boxing at the National Brewery Centre..Steve Barratt - Warriors Buxton.Ja O'Connor - Dog House Uttoxeter

Comments (0)

PAUL Mitchelson is already planning his return to the kick-boxing ring despite suffering a horrific injury during his WRSA British Super Heavyweight title defence at the National Brewery Centre last Saturday.

Mitchelson, 39, had floored previously unbeaten Craig Doughlin in the opening round and appeared on target for victory when disaster struck.

He said: “Craig threw a big overhand right shot and as it landed I tried to move out of the way, but I went over on my ankle.

“I was on the floor and the ref was counting, but I knew it (the pain) wasn’t from the shot that he’d just landed, it was from my ankle.”

The bell initially saved Nicholson, who was up on the count of six, but the Cotton fighter was unable to continue.

He said: “I got up for the second round and tried to fight, but as soon as I put some weight on my foot I screamed out in pain.

“They took my protective boot off and immediately waved the fight off.

“People were screaming at what they could see.

“My leg was broken – and the bone to my ankle was sticking out sideways.

“But for the grace of God my good friend and physio at Notts County, John Wilson, has seen and dealt with this kind of injury before, so he took over.

“He managed to put my ankle back into place while I was in the ring – and still fully conscious.”

Mitchelson has since had a metal plate fitted, but remains the British champion as the fight had not gone the required two rounds – and is already planning a rematch with Doughlin.

“The rehab time for this kind of injury is about six to nine months,” said Mitchelson. “With lots of help from some of the best people in the business I aim to be in the ring for Christmas.”

Mitchelson had been in confident mood leading up the fight – and landed all the early shots.

He said: “I was so focused that all I wanted to do was to get into the ring and do my job.

“About a minute into the first round I threw a fast snappy side-kick and he went down.

“When the fight restarted I knew he was still dangerous, but I felt confident I had the measure of him and confident I could win the fight.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters