ONE of the oldest cinema workers is back in town – more than 65 years after she stepped through the doors of The Ritz.
Phyllis Avant, 90, was invited back to her former place of work, then called The Ritz, to officially open its new namesake as a world buffet restaurant.
The much longed for opening is the ending of a long chapter following the closure of the cinema, which was later called Robins cinema, 14 years ago.
The Sandhu brothers have spent the last year transforming the former cinema from a forgotten shell to a restaurant, selling food from across the world, in a cinema- themed setting, as well as bringing the former opera room back to full glory – to be used for functions.
Those familiar with Robins will be able to see the original marble flooring in the entrance, as well as the steps to the screens.
The building, in Guild Street, had originally started life as St George’s Hall in 1867, becoming the Burton Opera House before it became a cinema, and finally closing in December 1999.