GARY Rowett says the departure of striker Rene Howe puts Burton Albion in a strong position to chase their targets in the January transfer window.
The Brewers and Howe agreed to cancel his contract yesterday morning, with the 27-year-old later signing a six-month deal at Newport County.
Howe struggled to nail down a regular first-team place at the Pirelli Stadium.
He netted just twice in 19 appearances for Albion, with Billy Kee and Adam McGurk forging an excellent partnership which shot the club into the top two.
When Howe signed a two-year deal in the summer, it was hoped the powerful front-runner would continue the form he showed for Torquay in netting 30 goals in two League Two seasons, but the move did not work out.
“Unfortunately, it hasn’t worked out for Rene at Burton Albion,” said Brewers boss Rowett last night. “We agreed to part ways mutually – there’s no point dwelling on it.
“We’ve got to both move on and we wish him all the best.
“We beat several clubs to his signature in the summer, but as a target man, goalscorer and one of the top earners at the club it hasn’t worked out as we hoped.
“Therefore, it was better to find a solution going forward.”
Now, Rowett hopes to use the signwage budget freed up by Howe’s departure to chase other targets.
So far, defender Adam Buxton and winger Zeli Ismail have arrived on one-month loans at the Pirelli, but more signings are expected before the window closes on January 31.
“We’ve got a great opportunity to chase one or two of our targets now,” said the manager. “It puts us in a very strong position in the January transfer window to go out and really improve the squad.
“I’m hoping for a similar impact to last January when we really kicked the squad on again for the second half of the season.”