DERBY County must wait for a chance to see trialist Kalifa Cisse in match action.
The 29-year-old Mali international had been due to face Hull City in a Premier League Under-21 Cup tie at Belper Town's Christchurch Meadow only for the fixture to be postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.
Kieron Freeman, Michael Jacobs, Mason Bennett and new loan signing Simon Dawkins were also set to play before the game was called off yesterday afternoon.
Cisse is a free agent after returning from the MLS. A defensive midfielder or centre back, he has played for both Reading and Bristol City in the Championship.
He trained with Derby last week and first-team coach Paul Simpson said: "We have seen Kalifa in three or four sessions. He is getting better with each session but we also need to see him in games. It is a while since he has had 90 minutes of football.
"I am not being disrespectful to Kalifa but it is not our job to get him fit, it is his job to come and play and do the business for us.
"So we need to make sure he is right for us.
"If he is not the right man, we will shake his hand and look somewhere else, but hopefully if he can get even better from what we have seen already then we believe he will be able to do a job for us."
Simpson says recent results mean they can be patient about who they want to add to the squad.
"The big thing we cannot afford to do is make rash decisions, wrong decisions," Simpson added.
"By winning two games against Watford and Leeds, and getting a draw against Ipswich, we can be a lot calmer about it and make sure we make the right decision."
Injuries have stretched Derby's squad. Sixteen-year-old Max Lowe and young goalkeeper Mats Morch were among the substitutes at Watford on Saturday.
Midfielder Ben Davies missed the game with a calf injury.
"Ben felt it in training last week," said Simpson. "He was hopeful he was going to be fit for Watford and he tried to train Friday morning but we realised very soon it was not right.
"It was more of a precaution than anything. Had it been the last game of the season and we needed something, I am quite sure he would have been OK but we just can't take any chances.
"If it means him missing one or two weeks to be right, then it is worth it to make sure he is OK."