Login Register

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service issue warning after

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: August 15, 2014

Comments (0)

Firefighters are warning people of the dangers of leaving lit candles unattended following a blaze at a terraced house.

The service was alerted to the incident yesterday after a fire broke out when two lit candles, which had been placed on the windowsill, fell onto the bed.

Fortunately nobody was hurt as a result of the incident.

Deputy chief executive Rebecca Bryant, who attended the fire, said: "The occupants of this house had an extremely lucky escape and the outcome could have been more serious.

"This incident is also a stark reminder of the potential risks of leaving lit candles unattended. If a naked flame comes into contact with flammable items, such as bedding, the fire can spread easily and rapidly.

"Always put candles on flat surfaces and keep them away from curtains or hanging clothes."

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES