Login Register

Summer drink-drive campaign arrests

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: August 07, 2014

Comments (0)

PARAMEDICS are urging barbecue fans to be savvy sizzlers and not botchjob burners this summer.

Each year West Midlands Ambulance Service attends incidents where people have either been burnt from using a barbecue or have suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from inhaling noxious fumes.

John Woodhall, a paramedic and Team Leader for the Trust's Hazardous Area Response Team (HART), said: "When you suffer a burn it actually takes layers of skin away. It can leave you open to infection, you can be left with lifelong scars, and in some cases burns can result in limb amputations and even death.

"Carbon monoxide poisoning is very difficult to diagnose. Carbon monoxide actually binds to your red blood cells. It stops your body taking up oxygen, so essentially you actually suffocate."

Never use accelerants like petrol, don't use barbecues in enclosed spaces and keep a bucket of water nearby.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES